Loading...
29Nov

Context: the Fifth Element of Online Work

At our last webinar, co-sponsored by AgileCraft, we gave some power tips on how to create successful scaled distributed agile teams. From terminology to estimation methods, to facilitating ceremonies in multiple timezones, we managed to pack quite a bit into an hour!

25Oct

Encouraging Collaboration in a Distributed Team Environment

They say that leading a team is similar to conducting an orchestra; with a lot of practice and attention, you can get everyone to play the same tune. But what do you do if the orchestra members are not only in different rooms, but on different continents? How do you get your team to perform a symphony when some members are playing while others are asleep? And how can you expect to get everyone on the same page when even something as simple as ensuring a time-sensitive email is read and actioned can pose a logistical challenge?
18Oct

10 Tips for Encouraging Casual Communication in a Remote Team Environment

Casual communication at work happens continually, and is often responsible for generating innovative ideas and initiating smart solutions. In a traditional office environment, where everybody works in the same physical area, such interaction can be anything from a chat in a break room or a couple of minutes before a meeting starts, to mapping out a task with colleagues in the kitchen area and pulling two or three people together for an impromptu meeting.
04Oct

The Nuts and Bolts of a Sales Team's Agile Transformation

Here at Sococo, we recently made the decision to take our entire company through an Agile transformation. While our software team has been Agile since day one, the rest of the company has been run on more traditional seat-of-the-pants startup way. My experience in implementing Agile is 90% with software teams, with the other 10% being me trying to figure out in my spare time how to be more agile as a team of 1.5 marketers.
23Sep

The Femgineer Way: Poornima Vijayashankar on Building and Managing Remote Teams, Part 1

Mandy Ross, Director of Community with Sococo sat down with Poornima Vijayashankar, the founding engineer of  Femgineer.com to talk about her path to working remotely and eventually leading an international distributed team.
15Sep

Distributed Teams: How to Assess Level of Team Performance (Part 2)

The second area of assessment is to understand the contribution that the team is making. This is really an effectiveness measure and is focused on the quality of the output of the team, from a customer value perspective. It very much borrows from the key principles of the Agile Manifesto. In very simple terms, it is understanding how much of the outcome can be divided into the “valuable to the customer” bucket and how much ends up in the rework bucket.
13Sep

Distributed Teams: How to Assess Level of Team Performance

Global talent, market expansion and cost pressures are the major drivers that lead to many organizations establishing distributed teams, where all employees are not co-located in one office. The result is that companies have employees that may be working from different offices, adopting flexible working one or two days a week or even working remotely from home full-time.

Global Talent:

08Sep

The Rat Race Doesn’t Have to be Your Reality

Today I have an important meeting with one of our executives in London.

I struggle with what I should wear. All the clothes that I own now fit into one small packing cube into one 45L backpack. I wear my only pair of pants, with my only cardigan, which probably doesn’t match my only pair of shoes. I pack up my bag, fill up my water bottle, grab a granola bar, and begin my 50-minute commute to the office that includes a bus, train, and about a half mile of walking.

19Jul

The Top 4 Most Annoying Things About Distributed Team Standups for a ScrumMaster (and How to Stop Them!)

Distributed teams don’t have it easy when it comes to the daily standup. The whole idea behind a standup is to be fast, focused, and actionable. Co-located teams know where to go every day, how long it takes them to get there from their office or cube, and where the candy dishes are along the way. If nothing else, they see their teammates going into the standup room and will scramble quickly to follow them in and grin as if they’d been ready and waiting all morning (and not looking at their fantasy football scores).